On Thursday, March 29th, 2018 we had the distinct pleasure of visiting the new location for the Talisman Therapeutic Riding organization in Grasonville, MD. It was a gorgeous day with so much sunshine and positive spirit around the entire facility. When we had first reached out to TTR, Wendy had no idea why a local dental office was getting in touch with a therapeutic riding center. Those aren’t usually two entities that go hand in hand. Well when it comes to community and charitable opportunities, Soistman Family Dentistry & Associates and the Talisman Therapeutic Riding Center have a lot in common!
As you may have seen through Facebook posts and pictures in our monthly newsletters, we have the chance to give a shout out to an employee of SFD every month and nominate them for Employee of the Month (EOM). Dr. Soistman, who is an extremely hard worker and dedicated in all he does, is always looking for ways to “increase the experience” in all we do. So naturally, EOM was no different for the year of 2018! Employee’s of the Month will now be able to choose a local charity of their choice to contribute a donation towards. How amazing is that?
Our front desk team member, Sherry, had chosen TTR. She is advocate for animals and loves to support local organizations when they are doing so much, with very little, to benefit the lives of others. Talisman Therapeutic Riding (TTR) provides a unique form of healing through the use of horses and nature. Located on a remarkable farm on the Chesapeake Bay, within 15 minutes of the Bay Bridge, the farm encompasses 30 acres of pastures, waterfront, tidal wetlands and woods. TTR is the first therapeutic riding center on Delmarva to be open year round and the first professionally operated TR center in Queen Anne’s County, Maryland. They strive to serve many who can benefit by the talismanic healing nature of horses and the guidance of professional therapists and instructors in a peaceful farm setting.
We are honored to help support such an outstanding local non-profit who’s giving back benefits the lives of so many!
Some of their programs include:
- TheraPony: for children with cognitive and physical disabilities including cerebral palsy, autism, severe brain trauma, muscular dystrophy and numerous genetic disorders.
- TTRiding: for Talisman Teens referred by community-based organizations, educators, and the courts
- YATR / ATR: Young Adult T and Adult therapeutic Riding – for individuals with health conditions such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, obesity, and other life limiting conditions
- Hippotherapy: for children and adults under the supervised instruction of a certified physical therapist, occupational therapist or speech pathologist and a PATH International Certified Instructor
- Heroes on Horses: for warriors returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, veterans of all wars as well as First Responders injured in the line of duty with physical limitations and/or post traumatic stress disorder.
- StableFamily: Sharing horseback riding activities and lessons gives families a chance to interact and cooperate in ways that promote feelings of well- being and connection. As a family, you laugh and play to together; figure out problems together; and cooperate to achieve a common goal. This activity builds new bonds and stronger relationships.
Thank you Wendy for providing us with a tour and the opportunity to come out and see all of the wonderful things Talisman Therapeutic Riding is doing. We’re excited that our donation will go so far and will help sponsor a special rider! Although Soistman Family Dentistry & Associates may be a local dental office on the Eastern Shore and dentistry is our profession, people are our passion!